CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Smoothing the Edges

Our first week with Jared has gone surprisingly well. The first part of the week was a little frustrating, only because the routine was interrupted a few times. On Tuesday, I had to wake him at 4:30 for a doctor's appointment in Memphis and he had a visit with his mother on Wednesday. This was the first time I experienced any sort of defiance from Jared. I waited until about 2 hours before his scheduled visit with his mom to tell him, I didn't want to get his hopes up and then something happen and the visit not take place. As soon as I told him, he blurted out "I don't want to go visit my mom!" I asked him why and all he would say is I don't want to go! I told him that his mama would be sad if he didn't go to see her, that it would be just a few hours, and that I would take him and pick him up if he wanted me to. Thankfully, he got showered, dressed and I took him to meet his case worker. After his visit, I expected him to be upset, but he happily bounced into the van! He was completely fine! My heart melted Wednesday night while out eating before Bible study, he asked that now since he was living with us could he call me mom and Kelly dad! Honestly, it took my breath away, and I really didn't know how to respond. I did tell him it would be okay, if that is what he wanted. I know he is so confused, bless his sweet heart. He told Carson one day that he was living here forever! I am so afraid to even think about if and when he has to leave! Parker and Carson have been extremely helpful in showing Jared the ropes. Parker is really enjoying his role as the oldest, I have seen some maturity out of him this week that I didn't know existed. He is growing up way too fast! The first few days Carson and Jared bonded the most, Carson played every single thing that Jared's heart desired. Unfortunately, that only lasted a short time, until Carson started teaching him how to take turns with certain toys and choice of activity. Carson is my very obsessive and literal child, he has been very consistent in reminding Jared to say please, thank-you, you're welcome, yes ma'am, talk quieter, etc..... Jared doesn't respond as well to him as he does Kelly and me. Avery and Jared have a ball. They play and play, giggling and laughing together, such a sweet sound to my ears! Thanksgiving, our families were able to meet Jared, again he just fit right it. He has no trouble adapting, which has been a wonderful blessing for us! Honestly, I don't know how I would have handled it if he didn't! This is our last week of school and then we will be off until the first week in January. The children are getting so excited about Christmas, I am sure it will be one etched in all of our hearts and minds forever.
On Thanksgiving, Kelly took the boys down to the railroad tracks behind his parents' house. They had a great time collecting rocks and exploring the woods.
Avery and Jared sliding and posing in front of the tree! So cute!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

I am so happy that things are going so smoothly for you with Jared, Kelly! That is great! What wonderful pictures also!
Kristie

Paula said...

You guys are sooooooooooooooooo blessed in many ways. I am too, but sometimes the grass just seems to be greener on the other side.

LOL..........Aunt Paula