CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Happy 4th Birthday Avery!!!


Today was finally Avery's big day,Party Day, the one she has been talking about for a month! She kept telling me over and over again how excited she was about her party. This day was definitely fun-filled and action packed! We ran several last minute errands this morning to prepare for the party. I was totally prepared with my list, all stops carefully thought out to run smoothly and return home to set the party up in time! First, we made a stop at a local florist to leave Avery's very cute Strawberry Shortcake balloon to be blown up and a few latex ones added. Then, off to Hobby Lobby to pick up some art supplies for the craft. Next, we picked up some fresh fruit and ingredients to make chicken and fruit dip. A quick drive through lunch in the van at Chick-Fil-A. Everything is going pretty smoothly so far, we head over to pick up the cupcakes and small cake and they are so cute.... As I made it successfully to the van, here's where the trouble started...the cake box slid off the top of the cupcakes and the cake got a little smashed on the edges. Almost home bound, only two more stops... the balloons and to pick up Avery's little cousin, Maddie at her daycare. We are 2-3 minutes from home, when the 'birthday girl" rolls down her window... bye bye Strawberry Shortcake... I'm driving and realize what is happening and slam the brakes to try and catch the balloons ... it was all in slow motion.... I'm yelling at Avery to roll the window up which at this point it was already too late, but somehow, her tiny little fingers grasped one single piece of the ribbon and she saved all but Strawberry, who is nestled in the branches of a tree. I pull into the drive of the house where the balloon is stuck, get out to see if possibly the boys could scale the tree and save Strawberry, but it was too high! Okay, the time is now 2:00, party starts at 3:00 and nothing is ready at home. As I give up hope, I think maybe I can drive the van under the tree and stand on top to reach it, but still it was too high up! The only other option was to call the fire department to save her, but I am not so sure they would have obliged! I'm thinking, oh me... Avery is going to have a total meltdown, but my sweet little angel says, "It's okay Mama, I don't need it anyway." We arrive home to find that some, not all of the cupcakes are squashed, due to the slamming of the brakes! With the help of Lesley and the boys we are successful with party set-up!! Mission Accomplished! Avery's little friends trickled in one by one.
Avery with some of her guests!
Okay, I guess I should have said this before, but Avery woke up yesterday with a slight cough and yucky nose! I told her you can't get sick until after your big day! Jinxed... no, but really, it seems like my kids are always sick on their birthdays. This morning, she woke with the croup, barking like a seal kinda croup! She actually seemed fine though, or at least she played the part well with all her excitement. I could tell she was really feeling yuck though. All the little girls sat to eat at our dining room table, I went in to take some pictures and this is what I saw!

It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To!!!!
I guess with all eyes on her, it was more than she could take. She started to cry when we sang to her. Poor Baby! She did get happier though. She enjoyed her cupcake and ice cream- but not as much as Leah and John Ashford!!!! Leah enjoying the icing off her cupcake! Yum! More please!
Okay - hate to do this, but I totally can't keep my eyes open - will have to finish post tomorrow!! This is also my excuse for any typing errors!!! LOL

Morning! Back to the post!
In an effort to cheer Avery up, we let her open her gifts next. All the girls gathered around to watch! They are all so cute and sweet - sharing in Avery's fun!
She received some great gifts, I am sure she will have so much fun playing with them today! Avery getting her new Bible from John Ashford - It has a pretty little butterfly on it! All the little girls painted a small canvas! They basically just covered the canvas with different color paints. After they were dry, Lesley stenciled their initials, put polka dots on the edges and put on a ribbon hanger so they can hang them in their rooms. They turned out so cute!!! Thanks Lesley for your help!!!!! Here are a couple of the finished canvases! Leigh and my mama holding Emily and Annie! Is that Leah Johnson?!!! John Ashford, when no one was looking, climbed up to the art table and took a sampling of pink acrylic paint! For future reference, the paint is non-toxic. We found this out after Lesley made a call to Poison Control!!!! Oh my, he is a little rascal! Annie, Emily and Gracie had fun playing together on the floor! Avery had a great Birtday Party! She enjoyed so much spending time with her friends! Thanks everyone for coming and making another memory for her book!!!

3 comments:

Roan said...

I glad the party was a success, even with the smashed cake and lost balloon.
I forgot to look at your new washer and dryer!
I am proud of your beginning to run! Keep up the good work.

Em said...

Poor Avery! I hope she's feeling better!

Glad the party went well, even with the mishaps. Those are the days we can look back on an laugh. Wouldn't life be boring without them??

Have a great day!
Em

Dana said...

Hey Lynn,
I just read about Avery's special day. Glad to see she got to feeling better to enjoy her party. Keep up the wonderful blog. I'm enjoying it.