CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Pontotoc 5K Ridge Run

Last Sunday night at church Scott, a dear friend, said "Hey you're going to run next Saturday right?" I told him that there was no way that I could finish a 5K because I had been running very little since January, like maybe once or sometimes twice a week for only 2 miles! He was very persistent in "encouraging" me to run, he even said that he would run with me! I ran 3 times this week for 3 miles between 39-37 minutes, so I knew that I would probably not finish under 40! Throughout the week, I watched the weather thinking, "Ok, if it is raining, then that is my ticket out of this!" Ha! No such luck, Roan said the rain will feel great!! So much for that excuse! Kelly and the kids got up with me this morning, in the RAIN, to go and give me moral support! I am so glad that they did! I was a nervous wreck! Roan had said that there would be lots of walkers at this race, that was a relief, I felt better about not being the last to the finish line! Well, walkers decided to stay home! If I wasn't nervous before then that was icing on the cake, I felt like throwing up and the race hadn't even started! There weren't a whole lot of runners, so I'm thinking that I am surely going to be the last to drag myself across the finish line! Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my "encourager/motivator" failed to show up because it was raining too hard! Can't wait till I see him at church in the morning! Anyway, Jimmy offered me the use of his super cool Garmin to use during the run-loved it-thanks Jimmy! The gun sounded right at 9:00 and off we went! I felt super the first mile, I was running at a little over 9 minutes pace, I have to say that most of this was downhill, gotta love gravity! At mile 2, I am beginning to think I am not going to be able to finish this, my legs were so tight! I can't remember how many hills there were, but it was brutal, especially the last one! I had to walk it! At the top of the hill, I could see the finish, what a beautiful sight it was! My kiddos saw me coming in and ran to meet me and run back to the finish with me! I finished in 34:56! I had shaved some time off from my 1st 5K- I was thrilled!!!! We stayed to see the awards presented, and I was surprisingly shocked to have my name called for 3rd place in my age division, I must say that I am not sure if there were any others behind me, but hey! it's a medal, right?!! Roan did super placing 1st, not sure exactly what her time was around 25-26. Jackie, another friend from church, placed 1st in his age division! WHOO HOO!! Kelly took me out on a date tonight to celebrate! We went to Ichiban and had sushi-so yummy! After eating we hung out at Barnes and Noble waiting for our movie to start. We had a very nice, quite, relaxing night together! Thanks momma for watching all the kiddos!

Here are some pictures that Kelly took with his I-Phone!

Nearing the finish!



Me, Roan & Jackie

4 comments:

Roan said...

Congratulations! You did great! I am trying to blog about the race, but my internet just started working (at midnight), and I am having a hard time getting my photos uploaded!
See you in the morning!

Megan said...

Yay! Congrats!

Megan said...

Oh...and I'm glad you like my new "running duds!" Looking cute just makes all the difference! Ha!

Dana said...

I'm so impressed with your running. I don't think I could do that!
I saw your comment on my page. Emma-Claire takes gymnastics and dance. Her dancing class is jazz & ballet. This is her second year. She loves both so much. I think we have a natural.
I'm feeling good, just getting bigger and bigger! Ha!